Friday, January 14, 2011

More on The Bell Center

As I stated in the last post, we are on the top of the wait list for another class with The Bell Center. Well, I just received the phone call today, from Ms. Betty, that we now have a spot in their 'All About Me' class, which meets twice a week, starting in February. (I should blog about these things more often, it may be the ticket to getting things to happen faster.) Here is the summary of the class which I got from their website.


All About Me

Toddlers in All About Me groups come to The Bell Center either twice or four times a week. Each toddler is assigned a specific volunteer who provides one-on-one direction as the toddler works on his or her individual goals. Led by a professional team which includes a special education teacher, a speech therapist and an occupational therapist, All About Me  groups have circle time with stories and songs, snack time to concentrate on feeding and language skills, group art projects and time for work on individual gross and fine motor skills. In addition to the professional team, a physical therapist and classroom aide are assigned to the group, and a nutritionist is available on a consultative basis. The four-day All About Me groups also have a weekly creative movement class led by Children’s Dance Foundation.  And every All About Me group participates in animal assisted therapy with Hand-in-Paw.

I cannot tell you how excited I am for Delilah to start this class. As you can expect, she doesn't spend a lot of time away from me. She also doesn't spend much time with children her own age. This class will give her the opportunity for more of both. It's only 1.5 hours long, so we won't be apart for long, just long enough for Delilah to build some independence and social skills.

I just have to figure out what I am going to do during the class. It's at 8:15am on Wednesday and Friday in the Hoover area, which means no going all the way home. Any suggestions that don't cost anything? I checked the library, but it doesn't open until 9am. Sure wish I had a Kindle (hint, hint dear husband).

No comments:

Post a Comment