Friday, July 31, 2009

Full Time Mommy=Exhaustion


Wow! I know everyone tries to tell you how exhausting parenthood can be, but you don't really know until you are fully emerged in it. The first week home with her has been wonderful and exhausting. I was fully aware of the late night/early morning feedings. I just wasn't all that prepared for the toll it took on me physically.

We did great with the nursing the first few days. She did best with it in the hospital. But after a few days, my milk supply started to decrease to what she eats, which is only 2-3 oz a feeding. Before, I could pump upwards of 5-6 oz, and the milk would free flow when she ate. She isn't as interested in nursing now that she has to work for it. In fact, she refuses to nurse. She has pulled a 180 and now prefers the bottle. So, instead of exclusively nursing her, she gets her breastmilk from a bottle. This means now I pump after her feedings. (I luckily have quite a supply of frozen milk from her time in the NICU. So if my milk disappears, she will have breastmilk for a month or two.) Time doesn't exist for me anymore. But do you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Yes welcome to parenthood. It is wonderful but extremely exhausting especially if you have to work like I do. Don't give up totally on the nursing. Try pumping more often - it may increase you supply. There is also something you can buy over the counte that helps your milk supply not sure what it is called but I will find out and let you know because I'm going to get some because my milk has decreased. She is precious. I love that photo. Just make sure you always sleep when she does - that is the only way you will get the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having a hard time with my milk supply with Wyatt, I ordered Nursing Time Tea from www.fairhavenhealth.com, and a breastfeeding supplement that they carry, it's called Nursing Blend. The supplement is like a vitamin but has herbs that help increase your milk supply. I have seen a HUGE improvement in my milk supply. Hope this helps. MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete